Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Baby Birds

Jeremy and Thomas build a bluebird house in the spring. We have been checking it every day or so for the past few months. Well, when we returned from our anniversary trip, we discovered a nest with four tiny blue eggs!







And, when I went to check yesterday morning, there were no more eggs. Just some tiny brown lumps with mouths WIDE OPEN looking for food!! They are the smallest things I've ever seen...no feathers, no tweeting, just sleeping and waiting for mama to bring some grub. I feel like they are my babies, though. I am constantly worrying that I don't see the mom around enough, and they are going to starve. It's funny that I think I know more than this creature about how to care for her babies. Silly me!

Hard to see them, but if you click on the picture to enlarge it you can make out their tiny mouths open wide.



We were excited to learn that the theory about touching baby birds and scaring the mom away is a myth. The kids are so anxious to touch them, but this cautious Mama is going to make them wait until the birds look less fragile! I hope we get the privilege of watching them learn to fly and leave the nest. Then, we'll clean it out and hope for more this year....another interesting fact we learned!